Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My first meat cutting demo

I had the wonderful opportunity to visit with my friend and peer Chef Jess Tate of the Providence Career and Technical Academy.  She asked me to come in on Monday morning to participate in a joint lecture with her junior class.  The class would consist of a short lecture period with the students going to first lunch and a meat cutting demo in the afternoon. 

She asked if I would be interested in doing a meat demo for her class.  I jumped at the chance to get in the classroom for some experience with real students.  These students were very recepitive to my presence and were very repectful.  I titled my meat demo the 411 on the 114.  I chose that title because the NAMP #114 refers to the cut of meat called the shoulder clod of the Chuck primal. Chef Jess left the meat selection up to me.  I chose this selection based on information found in my research for the capstone project.  One of the hot new marketing strategies for the shoulder clod is the cut know as the Teras major which is one of the five muscles from the shoulder clod. 

I also chose this this cut because it includes the flat iron steaks which are considered second in tenderness to the tenderloin.  I felt it was important for these future chefs to understand value added meat cuts.

I enjoyed my time with these students.  After the demo, the students seasoned and prepared the meats in a variety of ways. Well mostly kabobs.  But the students did do a good job cooking the meat.  Jess finished the day with a worksheet designed as a review.  It was a great time spent at the Providence Career and Technical Academy with Chef Jess Tate and her Junior Class.

No comments:

Post a Comment